Hello, everyone! After making a delicious pot of potato soup, I have decided to take a break from my Allergy Friendly Substitutions Series to share the recipe. For those of you that have been following my posts thus far, the following soup recipe provides for an excellent opportunity to practice using some of the dairy and gluten free ingredients we have been discussing.
As written, this recipe is free of the Top 8 allergens and gluten-free. This recipe is very flexible, though, so don’t be afraid to make it your own!
*For a vegan/vegetarian option, replace the ham with your favorite Vegan protein (or omit it entirely), and replace the chicken broth/stock with veggie broth
Allergy Friendly Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
*Makes approximately 8 servings*
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced ham
- 6 cups Chicken broth or Chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 7 tablespoons (just shy of 1/2 cup) Vegan butter/dairy free margarine
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 can coconut cream (this recipe works best with canned coconut cream or coconut milk , but you may use 1 1/2 cups of your preferred non-dairy milk instead if this is not an option for you) *if using any milk other than coconut cream, you may want to slightly increase the amount of cornstarch for a thicker consistency*
- 7 oz dairy free cheese (preferably Cheddar or American )
- Chopped green onion (optional)
- Combine potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, and ham in a large saucepan or stockpot. Add chicken broth/stock, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to Medium, and simmer until vegetables are tender (approximately 20-25 minutes), and broth is partially reduced. Stir occasionally.
- Add parsley, salt, and pepper. Simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Add butter, and stir constantly, until melted. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Using a measuring cup, scoop out 1/2 cup of soup and pour into a bowl. Add cornstarch, and stir until smooth. Pour mixture back into stockpot.
- Reduce heat to low. Add coconut cream, and stir constantly, until thoroughly combined.
- Add cheese a little at a time, and stir constantly until cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with green onions, and serve immediately.
- For a lighter version, use coconut milk instead of cream, and decrease the amount of margarine.
- For less sodium, use low sodium chicken broth, and minimal added salt.
- Try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper (or crushed red pepper) for a little extra “kick.” You can also use dairy free pepperjack cheese.
- I love to add fresh dill to this soup in the summertime. You can try adding other fresh herbs as well.
*To decrease prep and cook time to make this an especially quick dinner option, use pre-diced veggies, and frozen diced potatoes*
That’s all for now, folks! If you try this recipe, be sure to let us know how it went in the comment section below. As always, thanks for reading. Happy cooking! 🙂
*NOTE: Please check (and double check) any and all labels before you consume a new product if you (or your child) has a food allergy, and if necessary call the relevant manufacturer to confirm that the product is safe for you (or your child) to consume. Please consult your (or your child’s) Dr. before making any dietary changes. While I hope that all of you reading this will find the information I have supplied above to be helpful, this information is not intended to in any way replace, or supersede, the care and advice of your allergist, nutritionist, dietician, or other medical professional.